Advantages of Polyurethane Adhesives
Here at Sabre, professional teams of chemists do their best to develop advanced formulas that meet the requirements of the construction and manufacturing industry.
Our polyurethane adhesives have been developed for lamination applications, which enable the structural bonding of a wide range of materials and substrates to produce composite structures that reduce weight, increase cost efficiency, improve durability, and lower manufacturing costs.
Sabre’s range of polyurethane adhesives can be customized for specific applications, allowing flexibility that meets individual user requirements.
Sabre’s polyurethane adhesives are known for:
- High-performance physical properties
- Formulation flexibility
- Heat resistance
- Chemical resistance
- Wide range of materials can be bonded (metals, plastics, and woods)
Types of Polyurethane Adhesives
Polyurethanes are created from the chemical reaction of polyols with an isocyanate. They are commercially available in a variety of formats.
- Single-Component Moisture Curing Polyurethane Adhesives
1K doesn’t require any mixing, and therefore are easy to apply. The adhesive consists of a reactive polyurethane prepolymer that cures when reacted with moisture. This is typically achieved through a water mist spray before applying the second substrate or moisture in the materials being bonded.
- Single-Component Heat Curing PUR Adhesives
Polyurethane reactive hot melt are solid at room temperature. They are melted at heat, and as they cool down they solidify, generating an initial physical cure. The adhesive will then react with ambient humidity to chemically crosslink and form a structural thermoset urethane.
- 2K Polyurethane Adhesive Systems
With 2K systems, the isocyanate, and the polyol are manufactured and supplied individually, according to a prescribed ratio of components. The components are mixed at the point of application for a recommended time, which generates a chemical reaction between the component, crosslinking the adhesive.
Polyurethane Adhesives Applications
Polyurethane adhesives are suitable for various materials, and, therefore have a large number of applications. The high strength, durable bonding characteristics, and the ability for the adhesive physical properties to be adjusted enable industrial polyurethane adhesives to be used in a wide variety of applications.
Here are some of the many applications of PU:
- Sandwich Panels – polyurethane adhesives can be found in a range of applications including caravan panels, refrigerated truck panels, garage doors, entrance doors, cleanroom panels, bonding sidewalls, roofs, floors, and other composite panels.
- Building & Construction – Used to manufacture SIPs, clean room panels, decorative panels, and a wide range of building materials.
- Insulation – Bonding of insulation materials such as EPS, XPS, PIR, and mineral wool to a wide range of materials
- Textiles – Durable bonding of various fabrics, in applications such as scouring pads
- Composites – bonding various composite materials, honeycomb, and laminates
- Flooring – used in the lamination, manufacture, and installation of wooden timber flooring